The NHL wants scoring, but some people have stopping the puck on their mind. Today I will take a look at the NHL”s top goaltenders. I will also compare Pekka Rinne’s numbers and try to figure out if he is among the leagues best.
If you want to win the Stanley Cup, or make the NHL Playoffs you need above average goaltending. Your goalie needs to steal some games; he also needs to stand on his head and keep his team in some games.
2012-2013 NHL’s Top Goaltenders 1-10 (Regular Season Numbers) from NHL.com
- Craig Anderson: GP 24, GAA 1.69, SV% .941, SO3
- Sergei Bobrovsky: GP 38, GAA 2.00, SV% .932, SO 4
- Tuukka Rask: GP 36, GAA 200, SV% .929, SO 5
- Cory Schneider: GP 30, GAA 2.11, SV% .927, SO 5
- Henrik Lundqvist GP 43, GAA 2.05, SV% .926, SO 2
- Corey Crawford: GP 30, GAA 1.94, SV% .926, SO 3
- Antti Niemi: GP 43, GAA 2.16, SV% .924, SO 4
- James Reimer GP 33, GAA 2.46, SV% .924, SO 4
- Jason LaBarbera: GP 15, GAA 2.64, SV% .923, SO 0
- .Jimmy Howard: GP 42, GAA 2.13, SV% .923, SO 5
*26. Pekka Rinne: GP 43, GAA 2.43, SV% .910, SO 5
Coming into the 2013-2014 season there has been some talk about Rinne becoming an élite goaltender. For his career Rinne may warrants such talk, however after last year I think he needs to string together a few great years to break into the élite group. It is my belief that a goalie needs to be judged by his entire body of work; for that reason I don’t believe Rinne is at an élite level yet. I do believe he can get there, and it could be as soon as the 2015-2016 season. I’m looking for a big rebound season this year. If the Predators, and Rinne can make the playoffs it will help strengthen the argument that Rinne belongs in the élite class. If it wasn’t for his such an off-year in 2012-2013 I could have been pushed toward saying he should be in the top group of NHL goaltenders. Right now I put him toward the top of that second group of good to very good goaltenders. I do believe Rinne has greatness in him, but it is up to him to play at that level night in and night out.
Tags: Antti Niemi Corey Crawford Cory Schneider Craig Anderson Henrik Lundqvist James Reimer Jason Labarbera Jimmy Howard NHL Goaltenders Nhl Playoffs Nhl Stanley Cup Pekka Rinne Sergei Bobrovsky Tuuka Rask