The Nashville Predators bright spot on the report card, if you can call a C- a bright spot, is our defense, primarily when at even strength.
More from Predlines
- Nashville Predators 2023 Training Camp Spotlight: Kiefer Sherwood
- Captain Candidates if Nashville Predators Didn’t Have Roman Josi
- The All-Time 25 Games or Less Nashville Predators Lineup
- Nashville Predators 2023 Training Camp Spotlight: Cody Glass
- Joakim Kemell Flashes his Offense in Nashville Predators Loss to Tampa
When the defense is on, it is really on, however if the team starts slow (which more often than not, it does), this unit is primed for some sloppy play that can result in turnovers or leaving either Pekka Rinne or Juuse Saros out to dry.
Outside of Roman Josi, every defenseman has had a rough game and not showed the consistency we really need.
If the defense wants to improve their grade, they need to stop committing mental errors and getting caught out of position. They also need to stop committing sloppy penalties that aren’t necessary – the defenseman lead the Predators skaters in penalty minutes.
Finally, they need to CLEAR THE ZONE – even if they have to ice the puck, it at least means the opposing team has to reset the offense a bit. Not doing so allows way too many chances and high danger opportunities for the opposition.