Shield your eyes Predators fans if you get worked up into a frenzy over anything about Kyle Turris. This trade was a mammoth three-team trade early in the 2017-18 season while we still had huge Stanley Cup aspirations.
More from Predlines
- Nashville Predators 2023 Training Camp Spotlight: Kiefer Sherwood
- Captain Candidates if Nashville Predators Didn’t Have Roman Josi
- The All-Time 25 Games or Less Nashville Predators Lineup
- Nashville Predators 2023 Training Camp Spotlight: Cody Glass
- Joakim Kemell Flashes his Offense in Nashville Predators Loss to Tampa
To make this clear, this isn’t a complete bashing of Turris. The guy was playing in a system that didn’t fit with him and for a head coach in Peter Laviolette that didn’t really use him effectively. He was also a class act while here in Nashville.
Turris was viewed as a veteran piece that could add scoring and many other things to a Predators team that just nearly won the Stanley Cup not too long before that. The real travesty was when the Predators took on a gargantuan $6M contract through 2023-23 that they eventually had to buyout.
Samuel Girard, a promising defensive prospect, was sent to Colorado as part of this deal and that’s what stings the most about this horrific trade. Girard’s game continues to get better to this day, and he’s up to 24 points on the season for the Avalanche.
You can mark this as the beginning of the end for GM David Poile’s tenure with the Predators if he does indeed end up being let go or he decides to retire after this season.